Melinda HINKSON and Alana HARRIS
Availability: In print
November 2010, pb, 240x170mm, 200pp, full colour
RRP $29.95 incl. GST
NEW ABORIGINAL SYDNEY PHONE APP
$5.49 Available from the Australian iTunes store
Aboriginal Sydney app shortlisted for the 2013 Mobile Awards
The Aboriginal Sydney phone app is a companion to the Aboriginal Sydney book. The app allows you to explore Sydney’s Indigenous heritage ‘on the go’. Busy cities like Sydney can make it hard to see their Aboriginal heritage, but if you know where to look — sometimes just beneath your feet — the hidden layers of occupation appear. This Aboriginal Sydney app provides a glimpse of the vitality, diversity and complexity of Sydney’s Aboriginal life and historical and contemporary culture. It’s also an alternative social history.
With the Aboriginal Sydney app you can:
• plan your tours to suit your available time – from 30 minutes to all day
• choose your walk by locality or interest
• use up-to-date GPS maps with easy-to-follow directions
• be confident about culturally appropriate information
• listen to contextual audio narrated by Kamilaroi man, Billy McPherson
• find general information about facilities, opening hours, cost, public transport and links to websites of the sites where applicable.
ABOUT THE BOOK
The popular first edition established itself as both authoritative and informative; it is both a guide book and an alternative social history, told through precincts of significance to the city’s Indigenous people.
The sites within the precincts, and their accompanying stories and photographs, evoke Sydney’s ancient past, and allow us all to celebrate the living Aboriginal culture of today.